The Brown Electric Construction Company is a well-respected, progressive organization committed to providing the best possible products and service. An exemplary relationship with owners, architects, engineers, and general contractors has helped our business grow tremendously over the years. On an annual basis, approximately 90 percent of Brown Electric's business is from repeat customers. Brown Electric Company is a member of the NECA (National Electrical Contractors Association), is a Signatory IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) contractor, and takes great pride in its long-standing reputation and proven ability to complete projects on time and within budget.
Brown Electric History
The Brown Electric Construction Company tradition began in 1918 when Arthur W. Brown began working as an electrician for Schmitt Electric at 7th and Maine Streets in Quincy, Illinois. In 1928, George Brown, Arthur’s son, entered the electrical trade. The following year, Arthur and Albert Dickhut purchased the business from Frank Schmitt and continued operations as Schmitt Electric, moving the business to 830 Maine. In 1943, Brown and Dickhut dissolved their partnership. Two years later George Brown joined his father in partnership with A.W. Brown and Son.
From 1945 until Arthur’s retirement in 1951, father and son operated the company out of the 2425 Cedar Street location in Quincy. George continued building the business at 427 South 10th Street, welcoming his son Donald into the trade in 1953. A growing demand for service and reputation for quality work enabled the company to move in 1962 to 1039 Hampshire Street. George and Donald, second and third generation electricians and contractors, incorporated in 1968 as Brown Electric Construction Company. George Brown retired in 1977 and Donald became president and owner.
Lonnie R. Nuttelman, B.S. Degree in Electrical Engineering, University of Nebraska, joined the company in 1977. Nuttelman’s field engineering training with electrical service equipment and experience in assisting customers with layout and cost estimates added a new level of professional capabilities to the company. Lon became part owner and Secretary-Treasurer of Brown Electric Construction Company in 1988 and sole owner in 2000. In addition to purchasing the business, Lonnie moved Brown Electric from 1039 Hampshire Street to 1309 Watts Lane.
Upon purchasing Brown Electric, Lonnie's son, Nathan Nuttelman, B.S. Degree in Construction Management, Bradley University, joined the company in 2000 and became Vice President in 2010. Nathan purchased the business from his father in 2017 to become the sole owner of Brown Electric Construction Company.